Hughes Memorial Foundation awards scholarships for higher education or job training for traditional stduents living in the Virginia counties of Pittsylvania, Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte, Campbell, Bedford, Franklin, Henry and Patrick; the North Carolina counties of Stokes, Rockingham, Caswell, and Person; and the cities of Virginia and North Carolina that are located within those counties. Additional consideration is given to youth who, themselves, or whose parent or grandparent lived at Hughes Memorial Home when it was an orphanage
Applications are accepted starting January 1
with a deadline of April 3, 2017
The application and ALL required supporting documentation must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.
The application process has 2 steps:
- Read the Hughes Memorial Foundation Mission Statement. Notice that although all students of Virginia and North Carolina who demonstrate financial need are eligible for scholarship aid, preference will be given to students living in the above designated areas. After weighing these restrictions, if you feel you qualify and you wish to apply, proceed to step 2.
- Complete the online scholarship application located on the website. Upload and attach to your application the required information listed below, or mail hardcopy of information to
Hughes Memorial Foundation, Scholarship Applications,
223 Riverview Drive, Suite I,
Danville, VA 24541
Please include the following:
- Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) OR Student Aid Report. This should be completed and submitted to the federal government with a copy to us at soon as you and your parent(s) or guardian(s) have filled out federal income tax returns for the previous year. This is typically done in late January/early February.
- Your and your parents’ or guardians’ federal income tax return used in the completion of the FAFSA or for most current filing period.
- Official transcripts from all high schools or colleges attended (sealed).
- A letter outlining your need for a scholarship, your educational plans and goals and any other information that could affect your financial status or ability to continue your education.
- Official SAT or ACT reports.
Please do not hesitate to contact our office
with questions or concerns.